ENG1 Urine Test. Blood.

Closed Thread
    Unregistered

ENG1 Urine Test. Blood.

Hello,

I have been in the industry for several years and had several ENG1s. However, every time they do a urine dipstick test I usually show some microscopic trace of blood. I have been to my GP and been checked out, there is nothing he can find and I've had it for long enough to not be anything sinister.

I have recently moved and my next ENG1 will be with a new doctor, my question is can he refuse me an ENG1 for this? I have no health issues and the other categories on the dipstick test come back fine.

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Of course the Medical Examiner can ask for further tests, and if he/she is extra cautious/diligent/difficult he may not accept your explanation at face value. I'd recommend obtaining proof that the issue has been highlighted before and been fully explored and taking it with you to all future ENG1 medicals to show that its all clear.

The problem in our job with all of these regular medicals is that we end up finding out far too much about our body that otherwise wouldn't have been discovered. I personally have had abnormalities identified in my liver, heart, optic nerve, hearing, blood pressure etc etc, yet I consider myself a fit 32 year old and none of these have ever affected me in my job, I hold several different seafarer medicals, have undergone intensive company medicals and hold Class 1 aviation medical.
    Yours aye,
    Someone who valet parks ships.

Unregistered

Not diligent - Just Difficult

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMariner View Post
    Of course the Medical Examiner can ask for further tests, and if he/she is extra cautious/diligent/difficult he may not accept your explanation at face value. I'd recommend obtaining proof that the issue has been highlighted before and been fully explored and taking it with you to all future ENG1 medicals to show that its all clear.

The problem in our job with all of these regular medicals is that we end up finding out far too much about our body that otherwise wouldn't have been discovered. I personally have had abnormalities identified in my liver, heart, optic nerve, hearing, blood pressure etc etc, yet I consider myself a fit 32 year old and none of these have ever affected me in my job, I hold several different seafarer medicals, have undergone intensive company medicals and hold Class 1 aviation medical.
    I have just had my ENG1 medical by a new Doctor and there was a micro-trace of blood in my urine, the Medical Examiner put me on a 6 Month certificate!. I have had full Renal tests a couple of years ago which showed I didn't have any concerns. After the Medical Examiner spoke to the Renal team he reluctantly "allowed me a 12 Month certificate". I had a further urine test that was Clear and he still refuses to extend the certificate. I feel I am bound by his personal opinion rather than a medical opinion.

Parent
    Thanks
    Dipsticks are very sensitive to red blood cells, often cause false positive tests, one cause can be exercise, also dehydration which concentrates the levels. When you do a test you should collect a midstream sample.

My other half tends to cycle to his aviation medical and he's had this happen quite a few times. At the same time, having medicals does give you the protection of picking up illness and disease early, most never have them and only discover a problem when perhaps it's much more obvious and causes them to visit their Gp or hospital.

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks

All I can say is some ENG1 doctors seem extremely unprofessional, and I've seen people fail with one then pass with another the next week.

If you are really worried can't you have it at the old doctor? I always go to the same one as it's only every 2 years and gives me a chance for a free day out in London.