COLREGS Constrained By Draft Question - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks

Rule 18 requires that you keep out of the way of a RAM, NUC, Fishing Vessel and Sailing Vessel - in these cases assuming you are a normal PDV you are always the Give Way vessel in open sea.

Rule 18 requires that you "if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid impeding the safe passage of a vessel CBD", take note that you are to avoid getting in its way, not that you are to keep out of its way, Rule 3 specifically states that a CBD is a power driven vessel for this very reason;

While you should not get in it's way, if Risk Of Collision exists you are bound to comply with the appropriate Rule as two power driven vessels; In this case Rule 15, which defines you as the Stand on Vessel and the CBD as the Give Way Vessel.

Under Rule 17(a)(ii) you will take action to best avoid a collision when it becomes apparent the other vessel is not taking appropriate action to comply with the Rules. Any action you take should take into account the action which is required of the other vessel (Rule 17(c)) - which as a PDV following Rule 15 is to take such action to avoid crossing ahead of you (basically, reduce her speed or alter her course to starboard).

Therefore the only options available to you are;

+ Reduce speed
    + Alter course to starboard - you are permitted to cross ahead of the other vessel - the "avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel" part of Rule 15 applies to the Give Way vessel, which is the CBD vessel, not you.

(I've typed this quickly on my phone from memory so appologies if the rule numbers are wrong / it's not exactly whats written)
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

2. The following user says Thank You to alistairuk for this useful post:

R1PHILL (16th December 2016)

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R1PHILL View Post
    initially i was stand on but as the situation has developed and now the other vessel is CBD its my duty to keep clear.

Rule 18 says i should not impede her passage.

Rule 18 Fishing RAM ARE still power driven vessels, just have to keep clear of them and when complying with Rule 15 can alter to port to pass their sterns, is CBD any different
    Don't confuse Part A and Part D of Rule 18 as 'avoid impeding' is different to 'keep out of the way of', and CBD is not included in Rule 18 Part A.
    "If the wind will not serve,take to the oars."
    Destitutus ventis, remos adhibe

Latin Proverb

4. The following user says Thank You to Charley for this useful post:

R1PHILL (16th December 2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12