COLREGS Constrained By Draft Question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks

COLREGS Constrained By Draft Question

COLREGS Question

Power driven vessel, 4 points of your Port Bow, stbd nav light showing.
    Risk of collision exists.
    Action, Stand on with caution, sound 5 short blasts
    Risk of collision still exists and the examiner tells you this vessel is constrained by her Draft.

Option 1
    Because i have missed my early opportunity to avoid impeding her safe passage.
    Sound 2 short blast and Alter course to Port.
    Continue to Monitor until finally past and clear.

Option 2
    Because I have missed my early opportunity to avoid impeding her safe passage.
    Sound 1 short blast and alter course to starboard, parallel her course and reduce speed, to allow her to pass clear.
    Continue to monitor until finally past and clear.

Under Rule 18 I am to keep out of the way of Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM and when complying with Rule 15 altering to Port and passing the stern is the correct action.

A vessel constrained by her Draft is not quite as straight forward as Fishing,Sail,NUC,RAM. Would I be correct if the examiner gave me a vessel constrained by her Draft from the beginning of the situation then first course of action would be to reduce speed early and allow sufficient sea room for her to pass ahead.
    But in the above situation I have missed the early opportunity not to impede her passage, is it now OK to alter course to port and comply with Rule 15 ?????

Under Rule 18 why is a vessel constrained by her draft different from Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM and the actions required differ.
    Some people say it can be treated exactly the same as Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM when complying with Rule 15 but there is a difference which I cant remember and I would like to know 100 percent before saying anything to a examiner.

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Consider this, is the 'Power Driven Vessel which is Constrained by her Draft' obliged to take action? Could she alter to starboard? How would that affect you if you went to port?

50m? is that 50 metres or 50 miles? Neither make sense.

Thanks
    LOL. examiner puts two wooden models on the table in front of you and gives you a collision situation as above and you explain everything to the examiner.

Then the examiner will show you the Light board which is much the same . Explain all information including fog signals, then action to avoid a collision.

The situation I explained is with the two wooden models on the table, dynamic situation

Also the above situation is not between two power driven vessels.

Thanks
    Rule 8f(iii) states that a vessel whose passage is not to be impeded is still fully obliged to comply with the rules.

Break it down to responsibilities, who is give way? Who is stand on?

With these factors in mind what action can you take other than slow down?

Hint: check the definition of CBD then have a read of rule 15

5. The following user says Thank You to perksy121 for this useful post:

R1PHILL (16th December 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R1PHILL View Post
    COLREGS Question

Power driven vessel, 4 points of your Port Bow, stbd nav light showing.
    Risk of collision exists.
    Action, Stand on with caution, sound 5 short blasts
    Risk of collision still exists and the examiner tells you this vessel is constrained by her Draft.

Option 1
    Because i have missed my early opportunity to avoid impeding her safe passage.
    Sound 2 short blast and Alter course to Port.
    Continue to Monitor until finally past and clear.

Option 2
    Because I have missed my early opportunity to avoid impeding her safe passage.
    Sound 1 short blast and alter course to starboard, parallel her course and reduce speed, to allow her to pass clear.
    Continue to monitor until finally past and clear.

Under Rule 18 I am to keep out of the way of Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM and when complying with Rule 15 altering to Port and passing the stern is the correct action.

A vessel constrained by her Draft is not quite as straight forward as Fishing,Sail,NUC,RAM. Would I be correct if the examiner gave me a vessel constrained by her Draft from the beginning of the situation then first course of action would be to reduce speed early and allow sufficient sea room for her to pass ahead.
    But in the above situation I have missed the early opportunity not to impede her passage, is it now OK to alter course to port and comply with Rule 15 ?????

Under Rule 18 why is a vessel constrained by her draft different from Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM and the actions required differ.
    Some people say it can be treated exactly the same as Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM when complying with Rule 15 but there is a difference which I cant remember and I would like to know 100 percent before saying anything to a examiner.
    DO NOT ALTER COURSE TO PORT - the CBD remains obliged to comply with the rules as a power driven vessel and will either;

+ Reduce her speed (By going to port you are turning directly into her)
    + Alter her course to starboard (Not likley since by definition a CBD is one which cant deviate substantially from her path) - but if she did you would also be turning directly into her.

Your actions are either;
    + Reduce speed / stop and allow her to pass ahead of me
    + Alter course to starboard & either pass ahead of her at a safe distance, or parallel, let her pass and go astern of her
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

7. The following 2 users say Thank You to alistairuk for this useful post:

jorgesc (17th December 2016),R1PHILL (16th December 2016)

Thanks
    Rule 17 you cannot alter to port for a vessel on your port side. this is only between two power driven vessels.

Rule 18 Fishing sailing NUC RAM just have to keep clear, up to you how you do this, but complying with Rule 15 you do not cross ahead of another vessel.

This vessel is constrained by her draft.

Thanks
    Check the definition of CBD, it IS a power driven vessel.

If you choose to alter course it must be a bold alteration to starboard to parallel the course of the other vessel.

10. The following user says Thank You to perksy121 for this useful post:

R1PHILL (16th December 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R1PHILL View Post
    Rule 17 you cannot alter to port for a vessel on you port. this is two power driven vessels.

Rule 18 Fishing sailing NUC RAM just have to keep clear, up to you how you do this, but complying with Rule 15 you do not cross ahead of another vessel.
    To quote somebody else above;

What is the definition of CBD?
    Who is the give way and who is the stand on vessel in your situation?

Thanks
    initially i was stand on but as the situation has developed and now the other vessel is CBD its my duty to keep clear.

Rule 18 says i should not impede her passage.

Rule 18 Fishing RAM ARE still power driven vessels, just have to keep clear of them and when complying with Rule 15 can alter to port to pass their sterns, is CBD any different

Thanks

Thanks got it

Many thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast