Cadet mistreatment during Sea Phases - Page 3

View Poll Results: I have had poor experiences due to lack of interest or bad management during my sea phases as cadet.

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 61.90%
  • No

8 38.10%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks

I'm going to say no to unlocking the other thread,.....However. ...........

If people have experiences they wish to share then they can do so privately to you on here, that way we keep both Web site and the parties concerned exposure to a minimum.

I arent sure about some legal aspects but rather than cause issues, bad feeling, or witch hunts then people know your user name and can pm you their stories etc, this also goes for the OP the admin team can see the ip and email address of posters as such we could be in a bad place if anyone wants to set any attack dogs on us etc etc.

I you also wich to add further protection set up an anon gmail account and post it here, and use it only for your research until you are ready to move forward with a well crafted proper survey.

I do hope you understand the thoughts behind this

Chiefy
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks
    The other post mentions pay - cadets are paid more than UK apprentices and it's needless to say they (over three years) put in less hours than an apprentice. At my previous job at a rail firm the apprentices were paid 2 odd an hour over a four year programme and from year 2 onwards were expected to do the job 7-5 per day (while others were doing 7-3, for 35-55k) AND THEN attend the training rooms for portfolio work, with college OR compulsory work on Saturdays.

As for the cadet wage itself, it was more than enough... we could afford accommodation, cars/monthly travel home, good food/take aways and nights out. On the sea phase the wage drop reflected your lack of spending on accommodation/travel/food.

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Right now I'm working at sea and getting paid 1.33 per hour. I know people who are getting paid less due to working more than the hours I am working (12 hours a day, 7 days a week). The pay isn't a MASSIVE issue for me but I'm very aware that it is for others, particularly older cadets who already have commitments. I don't know if any apprenticeships in the UK that pay that little but perhaps there are, I still don't think that makes it right though.

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks
    Remember that seafarers are never paid per hour, we are paid day rates. I'm on a very good annual wage now but if I worked it out to be an hourly rate I'd be on barely anything.

Older cadets need to make a sacrifice to take on a cadetship granted, I know plenty who did it and lived comfortably.

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks

Yes, the whole hourly rate thing is a bit of an odd thing, how do you measure our wages, I get a salary so am I on the same rate all day everyday regardless of where I am (upside down I a crankcase or proping up my local economy by hunting tigers)

Or

Do I get double money while on a ship and nothing on leave, then there are the hours I work, ok so now they are mandated with rest periods etc, but it's still alot of hours, in honesty I work alot though not always in a conventional sense, I read emails at 050p I do stuff up till bed time, I get call out and stand by, some of which is hard to put into a box for hours of rest etc.

And yes cadet wages arent awesome, there is a little bit of eyes on the prize required to get you through, but trying to work an hourly rate, that way lays madness......I've had this discussion with others many many times and still don't agree with just a straight I did this today therfore I got this/hour.

As for abuse and that, again very much in the eye of the beholder, and as with many things the complainants point of view will not be the same the one being complained against, not recently but I have seen group emails go round asking (telling) us not to be so harsh on the cadets as it is putting them off and scaring them. Seriously? At sea, where our biggest fear is fire/flood, getting an arse kicking for not doing your job, not holding up your end of the bargain scars the precious little flowers, then may I use say , get a grip, put on your big boy/girl pants and get on with it.

True abuse needs stamping out, it has no place at sea...or anywhere for that matter, but.....well words fail me, I tell my cadets......at the end of the day it's your TRB, your career, your future, I will help and guide and ocasionally prod, however I refuse to chase and molly coddle and make sure you are doing your work, I have a **** load of my own to be getting on with, you are (generally) big boys and girls, you have fought hard to get a place and are entering a career and a way of life, this is not a 9-5 job despite the IMO trying to make it so!
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

6. The following user says Thank You to Chiefy for this useful post:

endure (7th December 2016)