• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica23
    • November 2016

Interview help for Deck Cadet Position with Clyde Marine

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out a little? I have a few questions regarding the interview progress and the route I would like to go down. First of all here is a bit of background information. I am a 23-year-old female, I already hold a university degree in Education. However, I have worked at sea for over two years now on passenger cruise ships, and I am ready to make the leap and make a career out of being at sea.
    What I would like to know is:
    If being a female will hinder my chances of gaining a cadetship?
    If I will be able to stipulate that I would like to be sponsored by a cruise company such as Princess (Company I worked for), Royal Caribbean or Disney ect...?
    What questions will the interview entail?
    Any advice on sensible questions to ask at the end of the interview?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)
  • Lewis
    • December 2010

I don't think being female will hinder you. There are less woman in this job but I think that's due to less woman applying rather than any discrimination.
    You can request companies but it doesn't seem to make much difference. If you previously worked for princess you might be able to reach out to contacts you already have. They might be able to influence it or they might not.
    They ask about identifying ship types, life on board, safety and risks on board, what's in the news etc

Comment

• LJ-14
      • August 2014

Alot of woman (and some men too) find they don't often feel accepted at sea...... :/

Comment

• beer-engineer
        • August 2010

If being a female will hinder my chances of gaining a cadetship?
        No, it will probably help to be honest. Theres always a drive to get more women at sea. When the whole of my cadet phase got let go at the end of the cadetship it was only a few of the ladies that were kept on.

If I will be able to stipulate that I would like to be sponsored by a cruise company such as Princess (Company I worked for), Royal Caribbean or Disney ect...?
        Probably won't make much of a difference. I applied for clyde and got the job before other companies but they used to have a sheet where you could select your favourite companies. Everyone still ended up at zodiac at that time. I assume you want to cruise so definitely use any pull you have at that company to angle your way into a cadetship.

What questions will the interview entail?
        Its a usual interview. Learn about the company, learn about ships and know your way around ranks and responsibilities, think of a few of those annoying interview questions (have you ever had to lead a team/Give me an example of one time you worked as a time to achieve a goal etc.). The clyde interview for me was probably the most relaxed interview I've ever had. I turned up in a boiler suit because i was attending the college already doing another course. Still got the offer.

Any advice on sensible questions to ask at the end of the interview?
        Anything that worries you or you want to know. Ask them about the company preference, pay, start dates, when you will hear, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X