2/Es unlimited- STC any good?

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks

2/Es unlimited- STC any good?

I'm now coming to the point where I'm looking to do my 2nds, and whilst I can't get into Warsash until September, I can go to STC in Feb.
    I've not really thought about STC beforehand, I just presumed I'd be back at WMA, as that's where I did my EOOW. Has anyone else been to both, and can draw a direct comparison?

Thanks

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks
    I went to Warsash for seconds and STC for chief’s but they were so long ago now that the differences are probably not valid, I did however return to STC for High Voltage Course last year and I was pretty impressed with what I saw.
    Go out, do stuff

Sponsoring Company
    Thanks
    If you are self-funding you might want to considered the course costs and importantly duration.

I understand STC could be up to 4 weeks shorter (and therefore cheaper for you).

Engineer Officer (CoC: Second)
    Thanks
    I haven't studied at both but recently did 2nds at STC on the fast track course so i have answers if you have questions.

I wouldn't rave about the place, its pretty short on lecturers and some of the ones that are there are pretty woeful. The lecturers are pretty pissed off that they get paid the same as a hairdressing lecturer so they've all just retired instead and a few of them haven't even been to sea before so its quite funny trying to figure out what they're talking about. Nevertheless, i passed pretty comfortably so it can't all be bad.

They do some pretty good sausage rolls.

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks
    Cheers folks! Booked myself in on the June intake, with EKs in July. The courses are changing in January, they're merging the 2/Es and Chiefs EKs, so it'll be interesting to see how that works out!

I'm self funding on an 8/8 leave pattern, so STC works a lot better than the 13 week WMA course. And the sausage rolls at WMA are terrible, so that works well!

I'd best get a copy of the books from MarineDiesels and crack on I suppose! Any other recommended sites/books?

Engineer Officer (CoC: Second)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liamk1992 View Post
    Cheers folks! Booked myself in on the June intake, with EKs in July. The courses are changing in January, they're merging the 2/Es and Chiefs EKs, so it'll be interesting to see how that works out!

I'm self funding on an 8/8 leave pattern, so STC works a lot better than the 13 week WMA course. And the sausage rolls at WMA are terrible, so that works well!

I'd best get a copy of the books from MarineDiesels and crack on I suppose! Any other recommended sites/books?
    Yeh i'm not surprised they're combining them due to the lecturer situation but watch out for any negative effects from that and don't be afraid to raise a fuss about it if you're paying. We had 45 people in our class and that was only seconds and it was just waaaay too many. They knew it was but still kept accepting people a week into the course. Hopefully they don't do that again but a large class is really disruptive.

Marine diesels is everyones go to book but just be careful about some answers as they are wrong. If you're not sure about it then don't just blindly accept it. Like in one instance he puts a 'note to examiner' on a question saying that MGO doesn't exist and that the question is therefore wrong when clearly it does exist. Its like 99% good though.

Last piece of advice. Drawings, Drawings, Drawings. Ask every engineer you know for copies of their drawings and then practice until you can draw them in your sleep. Each EK question works out at around 30 minutes per question (thats thinking time, writing, drawing, everything) so you're going to want to hammer these before you even get to college and then constant revise them when there. Cross sectionals can be learned from a book but when it comes to system drawings try and draw from your own experience.