Colour-Blind Engineers

Engine Cadet
    Thanks

Colour-Blind Engineers

Ok so I have a restricted ENG1 for Engine and Clyde Marine will not accept me for a cadetship.

Are there any engineers here who have a restricted eng1 and got onto a engine cadetship?

If so, which company?

This is my life long dream and my sister who is 3 years younger than me is currently going through a deck officer course in Glasgow.

Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    Maersk have taken on engine cadets with a restricted eng1. Like myself, I was unable to pass the Ishihara plates which is the test with numbers and coloured dots, however the MCA will issue you with an eng1 if you are able to pass the farnsworth d-15 test or the city university test. You can do these colour tests at the optometry department at the Glasgow Caledonian university. All you have to do is phone them up and book am appointment. Where you aware of these tests?

Hope this helps

Robert
    Phase 4 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Hey Paul, I've been at sea so haven't been on this lately but hope I can still help. When I went for my first medical I failed the ishihara plates test completely and was referred to my optician to do the city university colour vision test as stated on the ENG1 requirements. I sent the results to the doctor and was given a valid ENG1 with 'not fit for outlook duty' which does not affect engineers. Hope this helps

Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    Haven't been on here in a while. Quick update. Clyde Marine don't accept any color blind cadets whatsoever.

I applied to Maersk and also learnt from a 3/O that Chiltern also accept colour blind engineers, even if restrcited to not working with colour coded cables. I applied for both and got accepted by Chiltern. I'm with trinity house and I'm at city of Glasgow college. I started in January. I was also accepted by Maersk but they didn't get back to me until 2nd week of January when I was already in Glasgow.

So yeah. Onwards and upwards.

5. The following 2 users say Thank You to PaulBigley for this useful post:

Chiefy (27th June 2017),endure (26th June 2017)

Aspiring Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    i disagree with paul. I failed the Ishihara plates numbers test during my ENG1 and was referred to take a city university test(which i passed comfortably) and was given my ENG1. This was all done with clyde marine. So from experience id say YES clyde marine do take on colourblind cadets. hope this helps

Engine Cadet
    Thanks

I was in the same situation as you okocha and failed Ishihara test yet a I am clyde cadet. That is complete nonsense about clyde not accepting people with a colour deficiency. Yes you would be required to pass the city uni test or Farnsworth d-15 test but the majority of people with a colour deficiency can pass one or both of these tests. Obviously if you couldn't pass these tests at all then you aren't able to work with cables on a ship hence why some companies would not offer employment.
    Phase 4 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.