Dry dock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry dock

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks

Dry dock

Hi there,

Ive been told the ship im on will very likely be heading to dry dock while im onboard. Can anyone offer any insight as to what to expect or just general advice.

Thanks

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    Depends on your company policy . You will be likely to be on deck work.

The good thing is that you should be able to go out every night.

If you are going into dry dock in China each night can become very messy ( prepare to spend money , drink a lot , and use condoms)

Retired Radio Officer
    Thanks
    I'm sure Sarah appreciates your advice especially about the condoms lol

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk
    io parlo morse

OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
    Other (on shore)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Hi there,

Ive been told the ship im on will very likely be heading to dry dock while im onboard. Can anyone offer any insight as to what to expect or just general advice.

Thanks
    You'll either be working with one of the officers or sitting on the gangway the entire time. Without knowing the type of ship you're going on or the drydocking type...

1) If you are with one of the officers, you'll be going in and out of tanks a lot.

2) Take the time to go into the actual drydock itself and see what's below the waterline.

3) Fair guess is that there will be a paint inspector along from the paint supplier. Ask them what they're doing and what the yard are doing hull coating wise.

4) If there are tank coatings going on, pay attention to what's going on with them and how they're doing it.

5) RGK is right, you can go ashore every night. If you want to cane it every night, your choice, but I wanted to actually see where I was and did a load of exploring.

6) If in a Chinese drydock and you do go ashore, don't eat food off the carts. No one likes a toilet that has more of a glow to it than Chernobyl.

7) Make sure your door stays locked and keep an eye on valuables / tools. Yard workers in some parts of the world will try to steal everything that isn't bolted down and will try to loosen stuff that is.

8) If you see the yard workers doing something unsafe, unless you are extremely confident then don't confront them yourself. Take the complaint to C/Off or Capt and let them deal with the SRM for it.

9) There will be a lot of class inspections and what not going on and it will, generally, be to a schedule. See if you can follow and assist the class surveyor / officer assigned to surveyor.

I think I do have some DD books stored electronically somewhere. If I can find them, you're welcome to a copy.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

5. The following user says Thank You to GuinnessMan for this useful post:

YoungMariner (3rd June 2016)

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Everyone I've spoken to that has been to a dry docking has said it was brilliant, in terms of experience and shore time. I keep missing them by one week or something daft!

Please could I have a copy too GM, if that's alright?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks
    Hahaha! Condoms?!...Oh the priorities....

Its a container ship and were going to dubai . I wont be drinking as the company has a no alcohol policy, not sure on dubai rules either.

GM that would be great, i will pm you my email incase you find it thanks

Electro-Technical Officer
    Thanks
    Dubai in June, prepare for the heat. I did a drydock there in February last year, very pleasant weather wise that time of year.

Theres a very good seamans club within waking distance of the drydock. Friendly, usually has the crew of a visiting navy as well as drydock ships crew.

The only annoying thing was waiting for the minibus to take you from the ship to drydock gate. Sometimes a 30 min wait.
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Other (on shore)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Dubai in June, prepare for the heat. I did a drydock there in February last year, very pleasant weather wise that time of year.

Theres a very good seamans club within waking distance of the drydock. Friendly, usually has the crew of a visiting navy as well as drydock ships crew.

The only annoying thing was waiting for the minibus to take you from the ship to drydock gate. Sometimes a 30 min wait.
    It's going to be hot....

You waited for that minibus? I used to walk it. From the far-side of the dock to the main entrance was a 15-20 min walk?

Small point for folks who do go to DDW, don't use the taxi's immediately outside the Drydock. Those chaps are illegal taxi's, official taxi's look like the below. Roof may be different colours, so try to stick to red, green or blue. Avoid the yellow and don't try getting in the ones which are pink as those are women only.

Also, don't go getting blotted and act the tit outside. The police take a dim view of it and the punishments can be very severe.

Remember, their country, their rules...

10. The following 3 users say Thank You to GuinnessMan for this useful post:

endure (30th May 2016),JSTORM (30th May 2016),Mr_Nicoll (30th May 2016)

Get loads of photos and get stuck in as best you can! An exceptional experience to see what goes on maintenance and inspection wise as opposed to just operations at sea!
    "We have encountered an enemy square! The most deadly of all the quadrilaterals!" ~ EfffingController
    First of all, I'm not Scottish! I'm Drunk!

Other (on shore)
    Thanks

Oh, btw, would you be able to get me some pictures of the hull blasting robots?

Ta Muchly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast