Dry dock - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry dock

Electro-Technical Officer
    Thanks

Re the minibus. There seemed to be different levels of compliance with the drydock safety rules. (Understatement of the year). It was either the minibus or walk to the gate in full PPE but in reality you could walk to the gate with a hard hat on. Still you don't really want to go to the mall with your hard hat.
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    It would be worth asking if you can shadow the company superintendent with inspections and some of the behind the scenes processes involved in dry-docks, this might be the only opportunity you will get to do this (once qualified you will have more regimented duties), they might say no, but if they say yes it would be the best experience you could get in a dry dock.
    I love the financial, negotiation and monitoring aspect of dry-docks. Doing them as ships crew is crap in comparison. Although I'm not sure i'd have the energy to do it full time.
    Yours aye,
    Someone who valet parks ships.

Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    Thanks thats some good advice..
    Have today seen the list, the engine room list isnt too extensive so i should have plenty time to get out and see whats going on elsewhere too. Now i just have to hope theres some form of AC or its going awful hot.

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Thanks thats some good advice..
    Have today seen the list, the engine room list isnt too extensive so i should have plenty time to get out and see whats going on elsewhere too. Now i just have to hope theres some form of AC or its going awful hot.
    Don't be afraid to ask Class surveyors if you can shadow them as long as you have permission from the old man/ Chief. As a HAL cadet I managed to get a good run around with the Lloyds surveyor, he even took me ashore whilst he was attending 10 yearly hydro tests of CO2 bottles which was great to see and made a great task report. Ask plenty of questions and take your camera!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12