Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 06starburst
    • July 2014

I'm a deck cadet at STC approaching the end of phase 3. I stayed in a non-catered en-suite room at halls for phase 1. I agree that the catered communal shower rooms are truly awful and would definitely recommend getting the en-suite rooms in F Block which were refurbished not too long ago and all the facilities, including the common rooms on each floor, are much nicer than in the other blocks. This was my room which was on the smaller side compared to some of the other rooms in F Block: (excuse the mess)

Each room has a single bed, large desk, wardrobe and underbed storage. The en-suite has a good shower, sink and toilet. The rooms and common areas are cleaned once a week but you must keep the floor etc. clear of your things else they wont clean your room. There is a kitchen on each floor with 2 cookers, 2 fridge freezers and a microwave, kettle, toaster etc. There is plenty of cupboards and you can buy a cooking pack (and bedding packs) from the halls reception but i just went to Ikea. The common rooms on each floor have a large seating area, large dinner table (beer pong table) and a tv which often has some sort of PS4/Xbox that someone has brought along. There is also a main Common room for all of the blocks to use next to reception. It has a pool table, xbox, large tv and computer suite with 24 hour access for those last minute assignments.
    I would say the halls are over priced but it has gone down in cost since i stayed there. In this price you get 24hour security, a weekly cleaner and wifi etc. but you have to pay extra to use the washing facilities (around ?2 per wash and dry) There is a small gym on site which is free for residents - it has everything you need but is small and often busy.
    The visitors policy for the halls is quite frankly ridiculous. You have to sign in any guests, who then have to wear a visitors badge, and they must sign out by 11pm curfew. If you want an over night guest, you have to fill out a form well in advance which usually gets denied anyway and with only 1 access point to the halls with a guarded metal gate 24/7, its not easy to sneak anyone in.
    The halls isn't the best place in the world but F block is perfectly acceptable and its always a great place for Phase 1 cadets to meet new people.
    Any other questions about the course (deck) or STC give me a shout

Comment

• 06starburst
      • July 2014

IMAG0264.jpgIMAG0263.jpgIMAG0262.jpg

Comment

• Mr_Nicoll
        • April 2016

To be fair, actually looks really decent!

On a side-note, are there Ethernet cable-ports in the en-suite non-catered rooms? Or only a select few that have been done up?

Cheers!
        "We have encountered an enemy square! The most deadly of all the quadrilaterals!" ~ EfffingController
        First of all, I'm not Scottish! I'm Drunk!

Comment

• 06starburst
          • July 2014

All of the en-suite 'F-block' rooms have ethernet ports

Comment

• BMcGrath
            • July 2014

To be fair mate, you can read a lot of doom and gloom about the halls which only some of what you've read is true.
            I stayed there in phase 1 and to be honest half the battle is what you make of it. F block with the en-suite rooms is sound, you'll be fine there. Food wise its not gourmet but its hardly anything like whats been described. Sodexo get a lot of S*** on here but i didnt find anything wrong with it (wouldnt recommend if you are into healthy eating though which is why i swapped to self catered after a few months).
            At the end of the day you're in there with a load of new people, you get to make some great mates and it gets you involved. The halls staff will look after you as long as you aint a t**t.
            The only major downside which i can agree with is the price, it is pricey. Which is why i found alternative accomodation with a few of the lads for phase 3.
            I still dont regret spending phase 1 in the halls though, you'll have a laugh.

Need anything else give me a bell mate.
            uk.linkedin.com/in/bjwmcgrath

Comment

• Mr_Nicoll
              • April 2016

Awesome stuff BMcGrath, thanks!
              "We have encountered an enemy square! The most deadly of all the quadrilaterals!" ~ EfffingController

Comment

• Maritimer
                • April 2015

From the point of view of getting to know the others I really like the idea of staying in halls, but it's hard to get past the price! An uncatered room in halls is ?100 per month more expensive than a lot of places around, and the catered options are ridiculously priced. So looks like I'll be finding private accommodation

Comment

• captain_t
                  • February 2016

Are the 25 quid 'bedding packs' worth it?
                  or are ya better to bring your own?

Comment

• Mr_Nicoll
                    • April 2016

Originally posted by captain_t View Post
                    Are the 25 quid 'bedding packs' worth it?
                    or are ya better to bring your own?
                    Funnily enough, my sponsoring company outright told me to buy my own bedding stuff (I imagine sheets, pillows and quilt).

Comment

• benyboy98
                      • September 2015

Hello I just wanted to know about the kitchen situation. Gotta stop my mother before she basically buys me my whole kitchen lol. Just wanted to know the stuff I would need take. I assume I will need plates/cutlery/cups/mugs but what about all the pans and cooking equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• benyboy98
                        • September 2015

Always if anybody has study at the college. Some more pics would be nice

Comment

• Mr_Nicoll
                          • April 2016

Originally posted by benyboy98 View Post
                          Hello I just wanted to know about the kitchen situation. Gotta stop my mother before she basically buys me my whole kitchen lol. Just wanted to know the stuff I would need take. I assume I will need plates/cutlery/cups/mugs but what about all the pans and cooking equipment?

Being the boring chappy that I am- had a look and dive into any info they had online with leaflets/handbooks e.t.c e.t.c.

All kitchens have the basics. It's communal for the floor (6 people I think?) So cutlery, utensils and equipment (oven/micro/kettle/toaster) will be there- as well as Iron/Ironing board.

Only stuff pertaining to that which I've outright packed was a few glass cups and a couple of mugs- just so I can brand it "My" cup

If in doubt, Army 24hr ration packs. ?15 a box

Comment

• endure
                            • May 2014

You're going to South Shields not the North Pole.
                            io parlo morse

Comment

• Mr_Nicoll
                              • April 2016

Originally posted by endure View Post
                              You're going to South Shields not the North Pole.
                              I've been told it can be pretty dire at times Endure!

Comment

Working...
                              X