Exam Resits - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Exam Resits

  1. #11

    Noticed northern marine and fisher were at Fleetwood but not at Warsash. Can companies afford to stay way from Warsash on capacity grounds

  2. #12
    OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
    Other (on shore)
    Join Date
    April 2010
    Posts
    5,200
    Thanks
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt247 View Post
    Noticed northern marine and fisher were at Fleetwood but not at Warsash. Can companies afford to stay way from Warsash on capacity grounds
    Yup because they will decide where their cadets go and study. As both organisations are based up North, it's probably easier and more cost effective for them to deal with relatively closer colleges than go all the way down South. For example, James Fisher is actually just down the road from Fleetwood and don't take that many cadets on, so why have them all over the place? There may also be older company political reasons as to why they go there as well.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

    All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

  3. #13

    Retired Radio Officer
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,523
    Thanks
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt247 View Post
    Noticed northern marine and fisher were at Fleetwood but not at Warsash. Can companies afford to stay way from Warsash on capacity grounds
    Forgive me for being impertinent but when is your sprog likely to make an appearance in their own right? Or do they not yet know that they're destined for a career in the merchant navy?

    Beer! A vacation in a can!

  4. #14

    Engine Cadet
    Join Date
    August 2015
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    Forgive me for being impertinent but when is your sprog likely to make an appearance in their own right? Or do they not yet know that they're destined for a career in the merchant navy?


    I've wanted to ask this for ages but have been too polite :P

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    Forgive me for being impertinent but when is your sprog likely to make an appearance in their own right? Or do they not yet know that they're destined for a career in the merchant navy?

    Hes supposed to be studying hard for his AS and mocks in about a month or so. Then he's going on a rugby tour to Hong Kong and New Zealand. After his results he's doing serious research. He's already been to Warsash and Fleetwood open days and going to Plymouth in a few weeks. At his school I think there is a lot of pressure to go to university. Trying to get a handle on this my self. No1 son is in the Army which is a familiar environment for me unlike this.

  6. #16

    Engine Cadet
    Join Date
    August 2015
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt247 View Post
    Hes supposed to be studying hard for his AS and mocks in about a month or so. Then he's going on a rugby tour to Hong Kong and New Zealand. After his results he's doing serious research. He's already been to Warsash and Fleetwood open days and going to Plymouth in a few weeks. At his school I think there is a lot of pressure to go to university. Trying to get a handle on this my self. No1 son is in the Army which is a familiar environment for me unlike this.
    Having put two brothers through university before starting my cadetship, if I compare them to friends in the marine industry, ships are a safer bet for a good future even given the current problems.

  7. #17

    Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,063
    Thanks
    161
    It was the same when I was at school. Because I did quite well in my exams I was expected to go to university and did so essentially by default even though I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Ended up dropping out of 2 courses because my heart wasn't really in it and wasting 3-4 years of my life before I started my cadetship. If I'd found out about this career earlier I'd probably have my masters ticket by now. Which would he nice! Most of my mates went to uni and are no better off than I am for it. I reckon unless you have a solid idea what you want to do and you know you need a specific degree for it, uni can often be a waste of time. Obviously the shipping industry is having a tough time just now so gotta pick your sponsoring company very carefully to have the best chance of a job at the end of it!

  8. #18

    Retired Radio Officer
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,523
    Thanks
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt247 View Post
    Noticed northern marine and fisher were at Fleetwood but not at Warsash. Can companies afford to stay way from Warsash on capacity grounds
    According to their own video Fleetwood have produced 7 out of the past 8 MCA cadets of the year.


    http://www.blackpool.ac.uk/nautical/deck
    Beer! A vacation in a can!

  9. #19
    Report on BBC website about children drifting into A levels then drift on to university with no real guidance.....blaming poor career advice as part of the problem. ...I can relate to this....career advice at school now virtually non existant

  10. #20

    Deck Cadet
    Join Date
    February 2014
    Posts
    489
    Thanks
    90

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt247 View Post
    Report on BBC website about children drifting into A levels then drift on to university with no real guidance.....blaming poor career advice as part of the problem. ...I can relate to this....career advice at school now virtually non existant
    My school's idea of "career advice" was to sit everyone down at a computer and make them fill out a UCAS application form. I remember my form tutor hauling me into her office and giving me a stern talking to because I had applied to a university, and how my career choice would be "limited to flipping burgers".

    ..She then tried to claim that she was the sole reason why I managed to get a sponsorship. I shut her up pretty bloody quick!
    Sanity was an optional extra that I chose not to purchase.

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:59 AM.
vBulletin 4.0 skin by CompleteVB