Smart funding seafarer numbers etc - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsoring Company
    Thanks

2. The following user says Thank You to newbie for this useful post:

riker (20th July 2017)

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    On first glance, it looks somewhat positive. If the Government takes on board what was said here, hopefully they will implement some form of regulation or something that protects the interests of British Seafarers.

Parent
    Thanks
    Interesting, but query where they get the demand for officer figure from. When you look at job adverts, there are many at higher ranks, usually nil at inexperienced deck officer jobs. I'd like to see them answer how NQ ofiicers get from nil experience.
    Whe they quote the number in work, are these NQ officers doing the jobs they were trained for or are they doing lower ranked jobs but still at sea?
    No data quoted on their survey monkey, was it 20/30 or hundreds?
    There appears to be very little input in this report frimteh cadets themselves.
    Problems we see in this forum would counter much of what in this report, but that could be because people, generally offer complaint before they do compliments.
    There appears to be a different view on it fro. nautilus and the chamber of shipping, as far as I recall the smart plus had been discussed and ongoing for a considerable,e period of time.

i have not had time to read it through properly but just what I have spotted on a quick run through of it, and what over time I have read in this forum.
    i do know that the cadet allowance never changed in the entire time mine was training, and the copy given as a guideline was dated 2009 with the same allowance figure. However, it did allow him to train in a career without the cost if he'd chosen something else at the same level and had to pay for his complete degree, and maintenance cost.

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post

Really interesting read! If slightly long...

It looks like they asked a total of 27 cadets, but this isn't really a cadet focused issue - rather it seems to be focused on the costs of cadet training in the UK Vs Abroad which is a very valid topic.

Unsurprisingly it concludes that it is significantly more expensive to train a cadet in the UK and when a UK OOW requires a higher salary and more attractive T&Cs than Indian/Asian counterparts. However at senior ranks the difference in pay is minimal but companies see British Masters/Chief Es as a significant plus.

SMART funding in it's entirety pays for just 30% of the training process apparently, whereas in Germany their equivalent state sponsorship pays for 65% and the German scheme isn't the best value for money...

Because of STCW, it's impossible for a survey like this to say "British OOWs are better than another whitelist country" which I feel is quite misleading.

Something that did surprise me is that more non-UK Nationals hold UK CoCs than UK Nationals! Colleges apparently use the increased tuition fees they can charge to foreign nationals to boost the number of places they can offer to UK cadets.. But this seems a like a little bit of "we want to have more money" than anything else...

I felt the report was positive in the sense that it for the first time clearly stated that UK State Aid to seafarers was less than equivalent European/Developed countries which should give the politician types something to think about - whether they will or not is a different matter!

WRT Brexit, the report seems broadly positive. I agree that it offers an opportunity for a re-shaping of state aid guidelines and with suitable investment could really boost the attractiveness of UK seafarers to companies that are considering leaving the UK training scheme.

Your main problem is the current government does like spending any money.....and are very pro market. They also have a track record of ignoring reports that dont suit.

Parent
    Thanks

State aid guidelines are a very very long read! Cost of study in most EU countries is free or extremely cheap, Germany went down the route of starting to charge and then changed back quite quickly. Unlike England, and Wales to a lesser extent they have embraced article 26 in human rights, and article 28 Rights of the child, that governments should progressively work to towards making it free. So cost of training unless they factor in the real cost of provision will always look cheaper than an English place of HE. Though training companies I understand get a discount on college fees.
    As for the CEC to Uk COC numbers and how many they are, it's been published and commented on over quite a lot in other reports, and the unions too, as it has progressively increased.
    State aid guidelines only allow governments to support industries where they can show the need, could be skills etc as in the maritime one. Otherwise it wouldn't be allowed under EU rules as it would be seen to be uncompetitive, and giving advantage to a country.
    After Brexit happens, no idea what happens with state aid guidelines!
    It doesnt seem to address how to get from just qualified officer, to fill all of this 'demand', which from reading this forum has been a fairly frequent topic, over a lengthy timeframe.
    As in all of these reports the terms of reference determines what they look at too. If this UK government can see a way that the market covers the cost or there is a way someone else fills the gap, they'll use it, it's what they do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234