• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pturner1989
    • August 2015

My new website to help search/download notices

Hi all,

Please allow me to present, the very useful (and completely free, forever)... www.NoticeMate.co.uk

What does it do?
    • Search/filter all current M-notices
    • Download a zip of all notices
    • Download a pdf index of all notices with links to gov.uk
    • Whatever you want! Reply below with requests.

Why make it?
    I was recently given the task of downloading a full set of notices to my ship. I dread to think how long this would have taken manually (over VSAT)!
    Instead I wrote a script that checks the Gov.Uk website, then creates a zip containing all MSNs, MGNs and MINs. Then I thought it might be useful to others, so I uploaded it. The index is automatically updated every night.

Is it free?
    Yes. Websites like this are cheap to run. If the website becomes popular then I may consider contacting potential advertisers to cover costs.

Future plans
    I'd like to add a news feed (RSS) that updates when notices are added or removed. I'm happy to take requests.
  • size4riggerboots
    • March 2010

I think I love you.

This trip I spent about 4 days creating a full index of M-Notices for the ship, and hyperlinking them all to the pdf files, my next plan was to download all the ones we don't currently have as pdf to make the paper volumes completely obsolete. I was not looking forward to it but I do like to do a full job when I start something, you have made my day!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

• Lewis
      • December 2010

There's a company we use called regs ships. They send you a cd once a month. You need to talk your companies into not being so cheap ;-)

Comment

• alistairuk
        • March 2010

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
        There's a company we use called regs ships. They send you a cd once a month. You need to talk your companies into not being so cheap ;-)
        They're now part of ChartCo but I think the product is still called Regs4Ship

Most ships probably have it - they just don't realise what the disk is.
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

• YoungMariner
          • April 2011

Nice, well done! Think you're IT skills might be wasted at sea!

Comment

• HarmlessWeasel
            • November 2012

Is this still working?

I tried to access it today and got a 403 Error
            Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 18.40.01.jpg

Comment

• Hatchorder
              OC's Resident CV Guru
              • May 2012

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
              Is this still working?

I tried to access it today and got a 403 Error
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]1336[/ATTACH]
              I just tried it and got the same message - looks like it is broke - who let Guinnessman near it? No doubt he just hit it with a bloody shifter.......

Ian
              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

• HarmlessWeasel
                • November 2012

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                I just tried it and got the same message - looks like it is broke - who let Guinnessman near it? No doubt he just hit it with a bloody shifter.......

Ian

Comment

• GuinnessMan
                  OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
                  • April 2010

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post

Ian
                  Was'nae me! I've been rather busy....
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• Seawalls
                    • January 2015

Well this website doesn't seem to have been running for the last year or so now, so I'll just piggy back on here to say that just today I've updated the mnotice search on officerofthewatch.co.uk, which you can find at https://officerofthewatch.co.uk/mnotices/ - this will update daily with new notices from the government website (until they redesign their website again!).

There's a few of these mnotice searchers knocking around online, but they all seem to suffer from web domains not being renewed or when the government website is redesigned, the code that scrapes for the new notices tends to break. I've been running the mnotice searcher on officerofthewatch.co.uk for a couple years now but it it does go for periods of time without updating when gov.uk is redesigned and I can't find time/be bothered to update the webscraper.
                    Easily search through all UK MCA MSN, MGN and MIN notices. Including direct download links to all the M Notices.

Comment

Working...
                    X