Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Clubs?

  1. #1


    Are there any clubs/ rugby teams/sailing anything like that at glasgow for us to do after classes?

    Also can we go to other student unions?

  2. #2

    Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Join Date
    January 2011
    If you get an NUS card then I am pretty sure that you can use Strathclyde and Glasgow Uni student unions, you certainly used to be able to twenty years ago.
    Go out, do stuff

  3. #3

    Aspiring Engine Cadet
    Join Date
    April 2015
    Clubs are something I can't comment on, but with a student card your open to any union, attending anniesland college a few years ago they let me in to both Glasgow and Strathclyde!

  4. #4

    Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Yeah you can join Student clubs and go to unions etc. Its a big busy city!

  5. #5

    Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Join Date
    January 2014
    Your college student card gets you into all the Student Unions in the city, so no need for an NUS card. The Strathclyde Union is only 1.50 for any spirit and mixer, which is just lethal btw...
    The college has its own football and rugby teams but they are not that great.
    You can't join any of the Uni sports teams which is absolutely rubbish, but there is loads of sports clubs round and about so its just a case of looking around!

  6. #6
    So the glasgow uni mountaineering club is a no?

  7. #7
    OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
    Other (on shore)
    Join Date
    April 2010
    There is a place down by Kinning Park you could go? Also, you could always set your own club up?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

    All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

  8. #8

    Deck Cadet
    Join Date
    September 2013
    The GU unions don't check that you're a member unless there is a gig on or something. You don't get a reduced price because GU ain't affiliated with NUS, Strathy are though I think so you should get in for free.

    The sports clubs will all require you have a matriculation card for the Uni, I'm hoping mine will still work haha

  9. #9

    Officially, yes. However, in the real world student mountaineers tend to be pretty happy to have non-uni affiliated types hanging around, training with them, climbing with them...

    Especially if you have a car.

    I started the process of creating a mountaineering club at City of Glasgow college and decided against it. I didn't want to be responsible in any way for some of the goofballs who would undoubtedly have come along.

    Regarding walls in Glasgow there are two, TCA at Kinning park (excellent bouldering wall) and GCC at Ibrox (bouldering and roped).

    Good luck and have fun.

  10. The following user says Thank You to Rtaylor for this useful post:

    akmcdowell (27th July 2015)




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:29 PM.
vBulletin 4.0 skin by CompleteVB