X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akmcdowell
    • June 2014

No drinking for under 21's?

I've been offered a place with a company and I'm likely to end up in Glasgow, unfortunately in the St Luke's and riverside accommodation Information letter it says they don't let under 21's drink in the halls. How strict are they about this?

Tl;dr: are they strict about the no under 21 drinking rule?
  • bobofinga
    • June 2010

Not when I was there!

Comment

• bw5991
      • June 2012

It's still the same bobo haha, so you'll have no worries there.

Don't know what the new on campus halls will be like right enough, I'm doubtful of it being totally finished by August if I'm being honest!

Comment

• akmcdowell
        • June 2014

Cheers guys!

Comment

• Duthie95
          • January 2014

I doubt they will enforce it. In my contract it says that I am not allowed to have any party's or social gatherings in my flat or attend any part's or social gatherings in the halls or they will terminate my lease!!
          The staff at St Lukes have a habit of just barging into your room without knocking, then they get all argumentative when you tell them to **** off. So I would suggest trying to get a room in the new halls...

Comment

• ETwhat?
            • June 2011

As a word or warning, most of the halls are against parties etc as they see it causes damage etc. so they ban such things to try to protect the condition of the halls. Certainly STC some of the managers would have you believe you were staying in their front room and they had a much greater right to dictate your life than a regular uni hall. However some sponsors will side with the college and therefore doing anything that breaks the rules (and being caught) can be treated as a disciplinary offence, you probably wont loose your cadetship over it but it may well help you along the way.

If they do barge into the room often, either lock the door, or start spending lots of personal time naked and if they then barge in, well they may not do it again.
            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

• GuinnessMan
              OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
              • April 2010

Originally posted by Duthie95 View Post
              I doubt they will enforce it. In my contract it says that I am not allowed to have any party's or social gatherings in my flat or attend any part's or social gatherings in the halls or they will terminate my lease!!
              The staff at St Lukes have a habit of just barging into your room without knocking, then they get all argumentative when you tell them to **** off. So I would suggest trying to get a room in the new halls...
              They cannot just barge in to you bedroom's uninvited, they have to be invited in or provide you with a minimum of 24 hours notice that they intend to come in. That notice has to be in writing and they have to specify the reason for entry. The weekly H&S check in the shared portion doesn't really count. Which part of your flat are they barging into, your bedroom or shared areas?

As ET said, most places are against parties, not just because of damage, but also because of noise and other ASB as not everyone near your flat is having a party. Personally, when I was there if it was on a weekend I never really cared, but if it was during the week then I wasn't a happy bunny.
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• ETwhat?
                • June 2011

Im sure that they will be able to come in for a whole range of things basically if they suspect you of breaking the rules, but it should still be announced even if its just a knock on the door. cleaners can be different if they say your rooms will be cleaned between x and x time as obviously if they have told you that then its covered

it does kinda depend on which rooms, when and who is appearing
                you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

• GuinnessMan
                  • April 2010

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
                  Im sure that they will be able to come in for a whole range of things basically if they suspect you of breaking the rules, but it should still be announced even if its just a knock on the door. cleaners can be different if they say your rooms will be cleaned between x and x time as obviously if they have told you that then its covered

it does kinda depend on which rooms, when and who is appearing
                  It does really dependent on which room they barge in to as Scottish Tenancy Law is very specific on a tenant's right to privacy. If it's the flat as a whole, as in the common areas, then I don't think they can do much as it's officially the bedrooms that you're renting. However, CoG do tend to make their own rules up on the fly so who knows....

However, getting stroppy and telling the staff to piss off is probably not a good way to go about things, particularly if it is security guys you're shouting at....

Comment

• Duthie95
                    • January 2014

They used to come into the living room to pin notices up all the time which we really didn't mind, but the security guards just walked into our rooms unannounced on more than a few occasions for trivial reasons.

But this was all last year so could be totally different now...

Comment

• GuinnessMan
                      • April 2010

Originally posted by Duthie95 View Post
                      They used to come into the living room to pin notices up all the time which we really didn't mind, but the security guards just walked into our rooms unannounced on more than a few occasions for trivial reasons.

But this was all last year so could be totally different now...
                      Bedrooms are a no no. If the door is shut they cannot walk into there uninvited, to do that they have to have an immediate reason (e.g. Fire in the building). Living room is fair game.

Perhaps worth having a word with Stevie?

Comment

• Tabasco14
                        • January 2015

I was in St Lukes last year and they're fine with you having a few beers. We had a couple of parties but made sure we weren't too loud and kept ourselves to ourselves. It's the noise they don't like. But they didn't care about alcohol at all. Just watch for them barging in without knocking (or knocking after they've opened the door) and this includes bedrooms.

Also, you're likely to have an alcohol test on your first or second day (morning) so be careful about that.

Comment

• MacNeil
                          • October 2012

I'm there just now, well on holiday technically, and they don't care about having a few over for beers etc. it's just if there's other residents complaining about noise.

Although, I did hear from one of the office staff that the new halls would have some sort of alcohol rule but he said it was being implemented by one of the sponsoring companies and not actually the halls themselves.
                          C

Comment

• monkeywars
                            • July 2015

There not too bad. Havin a few is cool gettin ****faced and wrecking things dosnt fly. They will come into the main living room for inspections an if somebody complains but never seen them going into bedrooms always knock first to see if your awake and want them in. Most of them were dead on with me didnt stay there in last phase but. Drinking under 21 should be ok if you dont mess around and annoy the neighbours

Comment

• EH75
                              • May 2010

Aye St Luke's it was basically do whatever you want as long as you don't make too much noise, most of the guys in charge there were pretty reasonable. Alcatraz was a hole and I don't think you could drink but I only stayed there for about a week and in any case that has been torn down now so no idea what the new place is like. My advice would be stay in St Lukes. Lot more freedom there, its much more of a traditional student environment.

Comment

Working...
                              X