• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bahco
    • October 2013

Pre cadet ship course at South Tyneside college

Hi there

I was recommended, by Carnival, to apply to do the pre cadetship course at South Tyneside college. Is this worth doing as I am an aspiring engineer cadet. I have heard mix views has anyone experienced this course. Also would I be able to live in this halls, what do I actually do in the course and is there a uniform code at all.

thanks any information would be great

Robert
    Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.
  • bahco
    • October 2013

Yes, i didnt get it, and they told me to do the pre cadetship course which would help be gain a god cadetship
    Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

• flobbernoggin
      • May 2014

The college makes you wear full uniform. Im almost sure you NEED to stay in halls, not sure. From what ive heard the course is mainly geared towards engineers but with some deck elements.
      2/O Tankers

Watch out for big green boxes...

Comment

• stronglead
        • September 2010

Ive seen a few of the pre cadetship classes, full of young teenagers all in the same position, though I have heard it does boost your chances of being accepted into a company there is not firm gguarantees on it as you still have to apply like everyone else though the college can help with it and it gives you the heads up on what's to come
        Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
        Adapt and over come
        Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

• The Kraken
          • September 2013

I'm lucky that I did my cadetship when I did, the pre-cadetship course is a money making scheme for the colleges and they teach you the same thing you'd learn in phase 1 (except you pay for it). Saying that, it seems to becoming the norm for a lot of companies so you have got to choose if you take the risk. Weigh it up and remember at the end of the day there is no guarantee you'll get a cadetship straight off the back of it.

Comment

• amariner101
            • July 2014

Originally posted by therookie101 View Post
            Hi there

I was recommended, by Carnival, to apply to do the pre cadetship course at South Tyneside college. Is this worth doing as I am an aspiring engineer cadet. I have heard mix views has anyone experienced this course. Also would I be able to live in this halls, what do I actually do in the course and is there a uniform code at all.

thanks any information would be great

Robert
            Hi there therookie101,

I have completed the Pre-Cadetship at South Tyneside. I believe that it is worth doing if you do not obtain a sponsorship for the upcoming intake. You will learn a lot of the theory side as well as the practical side. As I am deck I can not tell you in full detail of what the engineering side entailed but I have heard good things about it. They apparently spent a fair amount of time in workshop too. With regards to halls, yes you will be able to live in them as you are attending the marine school. After a quick search this is the following units for the programme (this will vary from deck to engineering);

Maritime employment, Environment and Health & Safety Practice, Maritime Sector Overview, Vessel Construction and Stability, Basic Vessel Engineering Systems, Control Vessel Operations, Marine Engineering Dynamics, Marine Heat Engines, Numeracy for Seafarers, Statistics for Marine Engineers, Strength of Materials, Marine Electrical Principles, Marine Vessel Rope work, Anchoring and Mooring Operations, Securing a Vessel for Passage, Assisting a Navigational Watch, Control Operations of Survival Craft and Rescue Boats, Nautical Science: An Introduction and Ship Construction.

There are two levels for this course, Level 2 and Level 3 depending on what grades you have.
            Entry Requirements are as follows;
            Level 2: 4 GCSE's Grade C (including Maths, English and a Science)
            Level 3: Completing Level 2 Pre-Cadetship (Level 2 Diploma in Engineering) or 4 GCSE's Grade B or above (including Maths, English and a Science)
            For both the Level 2 and Level 3 you must be able to pass an ENG 1 Medical.

After completing the course you have a much higher chance of being sponsored, I am 99.9% sure that everyone that still wanted to pursue a career at sea still gained sponsorship. There were about 4 or 5 people that left half way through as they were offered a sponsorship for starting in January.

Hope that helps you with your decision,
            Need to know anything else just drop me a DM and i'll answer when I can

Comment

• bahco
              • October 2013

It's free for me as I am age 16

Comment

• endure
                • May 2014

It's free for me as I am age 16
                What are you waiting for then? Get signed up
                io parlo morse

Comment

• bahco
                  • October 2013

Yes endure, I am planning to. I just don't want it to be a waste of time.

Comment

• Sarah
                    • April 2014

If you cant find a sponsor its a good alternative. Someone i know who started pre cadet ended up getting an offer for the january intake so only ended up doing it for a few months. Either way, if your set on a career at sea its definetly better than waiting/doing nothing.

Comment

• Hatchorder
                      OC's Resident CV Guru
                      • May 2012

Robert, before saying yes or no I think I need some more information. Can you tell me what your grades, or predicted grades, in exams are so far. Also can you tell me about hobbies and interests and things like cadets or D of E?

Ian
                      "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                      "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

• bahco
                        • October 2013

Hi, I basically completed the maths and verbal reasoning test earlier today. The maths test was pretty easy and feel very confident with that though I only completed 3 out of the 5 verbal reasoning tests. After speaking to two other people doing the tests today they had the same problem. The questions, in my opinion and could tell from others reaction, were wondered terrible which consumed a lot kf time trying to work out what it asked. Will I still have a chance if I scored high in the maths and the tests I did complete.

Comment

• michael_bulldog
                          • May 2015

Has anyone who sat entry exams at South Shields heard any news yet? I was originally told that we'd find out before Easter. Now I understand entry exams are still taking place and results won't be released until the final test has taken place. ..

Comment

Working...
                          X