X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pritam Munshi
    • January 2015

Salary of Indian Seafarers

What is the salary range of Indian Chief engineers on different kinds of vessels? (Container, cargo,tanker and Cruise lines)

thanks
  • DMB
    • May 2014

I sail as a cadet with Indian crew and officers on Bulk Carriers, and one of the jobs I have to do is to get allocation forms signed, which has the monthly rate of wages on it.

One of the more junior Chief Engineers was, if I remember correctly was on $5,500 dollars per month. At the higher end of the spectrum, on my first ship, the most senior Chief in the company was on $8,800 per month.

Comment

• GuinnessMan
      OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
      • April 2010

Each type will have different wages based upon the agreed CBA between the company and whoever does the labour bargaining within India.

However, it's all a bit irrelevant for you at the moment as you would need to become a cadet first and even then it's a good 10-15 years before you make Chief (depending on how good you are, it's not an automatic progression)
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• DMB
        • May 2014

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
        Each type will have different wages based upon the agreed CBA between the company and whoever does the labour bargaining within India.

However, it's all a bit irrelevant for you at the moment as you would need to become a cadet first and even then it's a good 10-15 years before you make Chief (depending on how good you are, it's not an automatic progression)

I'm only going on the experience of the guys I've sailed with, but your 'progression' seems to depends on how familiar you are with the crewing office, rather than how good you are. By familiar, I mean offering up some of your salary to them.

Comment

• GuinnessMan
          OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
          • April 2010

Originally posted by DMB View Post
          I'm only going on the experience of the guys I've sailed with, but your 'progression' seems to depends on how familiar you are with crewing office, rather than how good you are. By familiar, I mean offering up some of your salary to them.
          Sorry, comment wasnt aimed at you. However, I would most certainly hope that crewman are not paying a manning office for getting them a posting as that pretty much illegal. Also, promotion doesn't mean anything as the crewing offices can only propose crew, they generally can't approve for them for vessels, only technical managers can do that. If someone is giving their manning office a proportion of their salary, then I would be giving the technical managers and the ITF a wee call about it....(although that could lead to blacklisting)
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• YoungMariner
            • April 2011

Sadly, in some countries this behaviour does still go on... Proving or dealing with it is almost impossible.

Comment

Working...
            X