X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elir71
    • May 2011

National Maritime College of Ireland

I'm a first year here (UK citizen). If anyone wants to know more then please drop me a line. The system in the Republic of Ireland is different from that in the UK. So if you already have a degree (which can adversely affect your funding in UK) and or are a mature candidate then I would certainly take a good look at NMCI as a route.

The college is located in Ringaskiddy, county Cork http://www.nmci.ie/

I can't speak more highly of the college, it is very modern and has very dedicated staff.
  • Lewis
    • December 2010

Are you a joint citizen? Or could anyone from the UK apply?

Comment

• Midge
      • August 2012

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
      Are you a joint citizen? Or could anyone from the UK apply?
      Irish or EU citizen normally resident in Ireland or if they have a prior support arrangement with a sponsor company.
      So guess sponsors could send EU citizens if they wanted to.

Comment

• elir71
        • May 2011

I am a UK citizen, and was resident in Wales prior to going to NMCI. The fees are the same for all EU citizens. You generally do not have a prior arrangement with a sponsor company. You generally apply for sponsorship through the first year. Not everyone will find a sponsor, however the college does its best to find you sea time with a company who does not pay a cadetship allowance to the cadet. I can think of at least one such companies offer excellent training opportunities. To date the college has not failed to find anyone the required sea time, which is 12 months aboard including 6 months on bridge watch duties. I can only speak for deck as I have insufficient knowledge of engineering and would not wish to mislead anyone. The first year is at college, the second year and a bit is set aside for training at sea , generally three trips of 4 months. You then return for your third year which should get you ready for your orals. The licence you will qualify for is OOW unlimited and the Republic of Ireland licence is internationally recognised. You need to come back to college after you have at least 12 months sea service on top of that to do your mates and masters course, then sit your chief officers orals. A further three years sea experience and orals (but no more college) and you qualify for your masters.
        Last edited by elir71; 2 November 2014, 05:41 AM. Reason: added clarification on my residency

Comment

• elir71
          • May 2011

Sponsoring companies can and do pay the college to train cadets from anywhere in the world.

The application process is initiated through the central admissions office on line. http://www.cao.ie/ which is the RoI equivalent to UCAS.
          You will need to go back to your schools etc to get stamped copies of your exam results, scan them, upload them and post the originals.

You may not hear anything for many months. I got my offer out of the blue, it does all happen very quickly when it happens.

Comment

• old woman of the sea
            • October 2014

This does look like a good opportunity but if you don't get sponsorship until Year 2 and don't get a training allowance, I assume you have to pay your own fees and support yourself for at least the first year. No way I could afford that and I wouldn't get loans because I already have a degree (in a different subject). Shame.

Comment

• Midge
              • August 2012

Originally posted by old woman of the sea View Post
              This does look like a good opportunity but if you don't get sponsorship until Year 2 and don't get a training allowance, I assume you have to pay your own fees and support yourself for at least the first year. No way I could afford that and I wouldn't get loans because I already have a degree (in a different subject). Shame.
              There are funding changes for some subjects even if you have a degree worth having a look perhaps and asking them a few questions.

Comment

• elir71
                • May 2011

@Old Woman of the Sea : The fees a student has to pay is substantially less than for most UK higher education. In the case of a candidate that does not already hold a degree it may be different, as such I recommend you speak to the admin department of the Cork Institute of Technology of which the college is a constituent. www.cit.ie
                Last edited by elir71; 9 December 2014, 06:50 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
                X