Australian Cadetships 2015 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks

Er mm mm mm. ... what's a QSS?
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    Er mm mm mm. ... what's a QSS?
    Qualifying Sea Service
    Sierra Alpha
    -33.969929, 151.209751

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Just found this thread, i am looking into cadetships in Australia also, thanks for the links YM. SeaSwift seem to offer an 'in-house' cadetship in Northern Queensland.. am i right? and the only other college option is AMC at Uni. of Tasmania.

I am based in Perth, until recently the 'Challenger' TAFE college in Fremantle offered the advanced diploma which seems to be the equivalent of the UK HND.. however, i spoke to a very helpful gentleman there who basically said due to funding cuts etc the only real option for the officer route is to enrol at AMC with sponsorship.

Just wanted to make sure i have this right? options for entry into the industry seem a lot more limited than in the UK. Also is anyone in a position to comment on job market for deck/eng officers once qualified?

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Sea swift is only small vessels so it's a bit career limiting.

Basically you need a sponsored cadetship through AMC which as you said is quite hard to get, I know INCO ships recently advertised for cadet ships in OZ. Yes it is a lot more limited in OZ, but once your qualified especially if you have a DP endorsement there is work available and it's normally very well paid.

Best bet is to ring AMC and have a chat with them.
    Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

5. The following user says Thank You to Pilot Chris for this useful post:

JG-1000 (6th February 2015)

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks

https://www.seek.com.au/job/32566118

Maritime Industry
    Cadet – 3-4 year programme
    Deck Cadetship or Engineering Cadetship

CSL Australia (CSLA) is the largest shipowner in Australia. The company performs transhipment and coastal shipping of diverse bulk commodities including coal, iron ore, heavy mineral concentrates, gypsum, calcite, cement and clinker, employing self-unloading vessels to provide a fast, efficient and dust-free delivery of cargo.

CSL Australia is a direct employer of hundreds of seafarers and has offices in Sydney, Brisbane, and Whyalla. We are currently looking to offer a limited number of Cadetships to attain the AMSA Deck Watchkeepers or Engine Watchkeepers Certificate of Competency.

Deck Officers are responsible for navigation, sea safety, cargo operations and mooring procedures. Engineering Officers are responsible for the monitoring, maintenance and repair of machinery onboard a ship in addition to electrical generation and distribution.
    Officers will have Watchkeeping responsibilities on a shift work schedule (normally 4 hours on and 8 hours off but this can vary). The work is physically demanding and will involve extended periods of time spent away from home. The environment of the engine room can be hot and dirty, involving work in confined spaces in all weathers.

A cadetship involves both time spent at college and time at sea gaining the required number of weeks of seatime and practical training. Your seatime will be in blocks of 10-12 weeks on rotation onboard our fleet of vessels.

To succeed in the cadetship you must be a self-starter who can demonstrate a real enthusiasm for the industry with excellent practical/technical abilities. You will need to be a team player and show a positive attitude and commitment.

After you have successfully completed the cadetship, we will endeavour to find you a permanent position in the company; however this is subject to a vacancy being available.

We are now accepting applications – please upload your resume and a brief cover letter identifying why you are interested in this opportunity via the Seek website.

Applications for these Cadetships will close on 15 February 2017.

7. The following user says Thank You to YoungMariner for this useful post:

smurphy94 (23rd January 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12